Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuna

Menu:
Tuna
Asparagus
Cucumber

People are always kind of amazed at the things my kids eat, and honestly, I cannot take credit. They are both adventurous eaters. My oldest's (7) favorite food is "red chicken" and my youngest (5) only eats octopus and ikura when we eat sushi. Ikura = gross, to me. I never have made the kids separate foods for us. And besides toning down spices, I've never really changed how we eat for them. But honestly, it's just luck that they like to eat different things. This dinner, however, was not a hit. Not one little bit. What usually happens in that case? I bribe them with dessert (which, we really do tend to have every night -- usually a little ice cream or banana with chocolate and honey drizzled over the top). The little one cried for probably 15 minutes at the table, until I finally set the timer and told him it would be taken away if he didn't finish by then. They have always have a choice. They don't need to finish what they are eating. But if they don't eat it, no dessert and nothing until breakfast. I know - harsh. Needless to say, they finished, and the Banana Cream Pie Smoothies they had for dessert were a bigger hit than the fish.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I am more jealous than I can say. I've tried every trick in the book - up to and including starving them when they refuse what I've served - nothing works. I have seen the older two survive on milk and vitamins for four straight meals rather than eat. I'm sure if I kept going they'd EVENTUALLY relent, but that is a lot harder than it sounds. Brandon tells me someday the torture will end and they will like food. I hope so. Before they get scurvy...