Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Split Pea Soup

dinner050112

Menu:
Split Pea Soup || Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook

NOTE: I apologize for the horrible picture. Part of it is the photographer's fault (me and my lack of food styling before digging into my dinner). Part of the is the subject (I'm not sure split pea soup can ever look pretty). But trust me, this soup was amazing. So amazing that BOTH of my boys went back for seconds.

Split Pea Soup
6 servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cooking Time: 7 Hours

2 carrots
2 ribs celery
1 onion
1 leek
1 ripe tomato
1 smoked ham hock
1-3/4 cup (1 lb.) dried split peas, washed and stones removed
2 T. olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 t. dried thyme
4 c. chicken broth
4 c. water
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 t. chopped fresh parsley

Cut all vegetables into 1/4-inch pieces and place in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients except salt, peper and parsley.

Cover. Cook on high for 7 hours (NOTE: I turned mine to low the last 3 hours).

Remove ham hock. Shred meat from bone and return meat to pot.

Season soup with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.

No comments: